November 6, 2008

Prop H8

I really can't believe that year after year, in state after state, we are legalizing discrimination against gay people. We are mandating it, actually. What country am I living in?

I think Tina Fey-Palin said it best when she said "I believe marriage is meant to be a sacred union between two unwilling teenagers." Do you really think you're "protecting marriage" by withholding it from people that deeply want it? Do you really think you're doing orphans a service by keeping them out of loving and welcoming same-sex homes? And how can you say with a straight face that you are any different from someone who evaluates a person's rights based on the color of their skin? You won't even own your bigotry. You hide it under the banner of "family values." Just admit it: you're afraid of difference. And you thank God that he sanctions your fear in his holy Word. But guess what. That same Word also sanctions slavery, subjugation of women, holy war, and racism. Maybe you should start being a little more careful when you read that Word.

Damnit, these words are arrows, and they can only cause more pain. I don't want to do that. I don't want to divide. Responsible Christians don't think this way. They're the ones who feel genuinely conflicted about the issue, they love everyone precisely because of their loyalty to God, and that is what makes this confusing for them. I know there are plenty of people like that. I just want Christians to stop hurting people for no reason. What is it going to take to make Americans see that gay people are just people? They are just like you. just like you.

I have got to start doing some activism, MLK style.

2 comments:

Beth said...

I know, Jen... I know. Amidst all the joy yesterday, I had to search to find news about Prop 8, or H8 as you so aptly say. I am deeply, deeply saddened by this situation. But I'm reminded that I should not move too quickly out of lament, for a special kind of wisdom grows here...
Anyway, I'm on board for your activism. Just keep me posted.
Love YOU.

Jen said...

Love YOU TOO.

You are right. And I will definitely let you know about the activism. I have no idea where to start, but I want to try.