June 4, 2010

On a Jet Plane

I woke up this morning and decided I need to move away.  maybe Chattanooga, maybe back to Birmingham.  or Nashville.  These seem to be the places that most people I know have decided to settle.  I don't know if I can ever count on anyone settling.  But these are the places I have more friends than I have in Atlanta.  Maybe that's not true.  But all it took this weekend was 3 people going out of town, and I will spend the entire weekend alone. 

I also decided this morning that maybe Atlanta is awful, which is part of what is motivating this move.  It's so big and spread out and congested, it's such a hassle to do anything, I mostly just want to stay home.  If I am in Birmingham, even if I can't get in touch with anyone, I am pretty sure I could stop in to Bottletree and see some good folks and have a lovely time.  The last Sunday I was in Birmingham, I went to Bottletree in the morning for Sunday brunch and ran into literally everyone.  I think if I spent a year or so in the noog, it would be the same way.  But there is no such place in Atlanta.  Also, I have never spent an evening in Birmingham when somebody isn't down for SOMETHING.  There's always some fun to get up to, and that's after 10 years of living elsewhere.  I am really coming to appreciate having a crew or two, you know?  folks that just hang out all the time, or being in a city where everybody knows everybody.  In Atlanta, all of my crews have been whittled down to one or two people, and they's great people, my favorites, but I miss the gang.  I don't need big city lights or the coolest clubs or a gillion new ways to spend all my moneys, I just need a little crew to get 75 cent tacos on Monday nights.

Maybe I just need to get people hanging out more, but where are we gonna go?  We need a spot.  Ok, I will try to organize a crew before I up and move.  The first thing we need is a spot.  Second, people.  Also, what am I talking about?  I hang out with groups a lot of the time.  I don't quite feel at home in any of them, though.  also not true.  Correction: the one I feel most at home in almost never gets together anymore.  They used to congregate on Becca's porch, but now they have drifted away like the leaves in the fall, to quote the great Deanna Carter.  Ok, it is time for a reunion tour.  This is the summer.  A good friend of mine has dubbed 2010 "the year when it all happens."  This is the year I get Atlanta up and running.





4 comments:

Beth said...

your photos make me happy and sad and feel like i'm missing part of my family

Liz said...

come back to birmingham!!

abigail said...

okay, so i have neglected keeping up with your blog and these pictures make me happy!!! miss you. let me know if you are ever stopping by cleveland.

Jen said...

Oh yeah, I forgot you were in Cleveland again! I will definitely let you know next time I come in town! Miss you too.