September 3, 2010

WHAT'S THE COOL JAMS

I think it is time I highlight my CURRENTLY LISTEN TO section here to the right. I have been wanting to do this periodically, and just haven't gotten around to it. I tried to review all 10, but ended up with nothing to say about half of them except "This song is perfect, you have to listen to it," so here are 5 OF THE 10 SONGS I'M CURRENTLY LISTENING TO, and some reasons why.

1) When You Go Away - The Weepies. The new Weepies album hit the shelves on Tuesday, and it is a hit if you ask me. I was a little disappointed with their last album for whatever reason, but I fell in love with this one by the second listen. Nearly every song mentions sunny/gray skies, and it is a little predictable by now, but another word for predictable is dependable. The Weepies can be depended on to deliver sentimental songs about the beauty of everything and sweet lonely songs that make your pathetic fears seem legitimate and completely normal and almost cute.

2) From the Mouth of Gabriel - Sufjan Stevens. Holy shit this new Sufjan ep, right? It is through the roof. I really thought I was maybe over Sufjan, but he keeps evolving into something better and better.

3) Winter Winds - Mumford & Sons. These guys have taken the genre of sweaty boys playing big bass drums and trumpets and singing with lots of voices and dancing on stage and stomping, and they have perfected it. Every song on their album Sigh No More is so satisfyingly grand and sing-songy. I put it on driving home from work and smile all the way. The lyrics are a little disappointing if you listen too close, but the overall effect is dynamite.

4) Empty Room - Arcade Fire. I believe everyone in America has purchased the new Arcade Fire album in the past month and raved about it a time or two. I also am part of America. The album is spectacular for all the reasons everyone says it is, capturing the strangeness and boredom of suburban life and so on, and this is my favorite song on it. WHEN I'M BY MYSELF I CAN BE MYSELF AND MY LIFE IS COMING BUT I DON'T KNOW WHEN.

5) High Wide and Handsome - Loudon Wainwright III. I heard this song on Fresh Air, the album is apparently a tribute to someone called Charlie Poole (pictured to the right). I have no idea who this is, but have gathered he is a lovably scruffy, large, cowboy sort of guy, probably a banjo man. This song is all pickin and grinnin. highly recommended.

Honorable Mention:
6) Little Secrets - Passion Pit
7) Girlfriend - Phoenix
8) Animal - Miike Snow
9) Ghosts - Laura Marling
10) Lovin' in My Baby's Eyes - Taj Mahal

No comments: