April 14, 2011

Paul and so on

Little Pauly Simon has done it again.  Another slam dunk of an album.  At least, this is my verdict after a half a listen, although I am hearing more ballads than I was hoping to.  I heard him say, on wikipedia he said "Once you go away for a bit, you wonder who people think you are. If they don't know what you're up to, they just go by your history. I'm so often described as this person that went to other cultures, which is true, but I never thought of it that way. I suspect people are thinking, 'What culture did you go to?' But this record is straight-ahead American."  And this is an interesting sentiment, and it's adorable that he thinks this new album is straight ahead American, because what it is is straight ahead Pauly Simon, and we all know that means it's part African.  Look at this guy.  Could he be more African?  But he seems to have no idea.  His face looks like an old man prosthetic.  an old man prosthetic at a high school drama club production, or a wax replica perhaps.  Is he really turning into an old man?  with wrinkles and big nose and all?  You can see it, he is midways between the Paul we remember and your Typical Old Man.  I can't believe it.  It warms my heart, though, to see a celebrity aging naturally.

Did you know, he was married to Princess Leia?  Not Carrie Fisher the autobiographying alcoholic, but Princess Leia, they were married during her Princess Leia years.  He wrote "She Moves On" about her, he wrote all sorts of songs about her, I am sure.  She Moves On goes

A cloud shifts
The plane lifts
She moves on

It doesn't seem to be about much of anything, except motion, but Leia likes it.  She encourages you to find a way to have Paul Simon write a song about you because "he is so good at it."  All this is verifiable through his wikipedia page.

Ever since I dropped out of school, I have become a trivia machine, I try to encourage myself to keep learning, but since there are no rules, I just learn about whatever I want to, and many days it is the life and history of my favorite musical acts.  or the nutritional benefits of avocados.  lentils, beets, cabbage, etc.  When I was at school and learning daily, the knowledge was exclusionary, it required a whole host of specialized knowledge and vocabulary about which not a soul outside of your classroom could give a hoot.  unbridgeable.  Now I learn things I imagine any old somebody could be interested in, and so some days you can't shut me up.  Why just the other day I was boring my coworkers about embalming methods that pollute ground water.  for the second time!  It reminds me just exactly of my father.  I am not sure how I feel about this, but I can't imagine stopping.

Getting older is different than you'd think.

There were other, heavier things I thought I might mention, but another day.  Tomorrow - to the beach!

No comments: