May 24, 2009

OH MY LITTLE MOCKINGBIRD SING

I have really been thinking about this over the years, as though it were actually a decision I would have to make one day, I have been thinking if I could only listen to one album for the rest of my life, what would it be? and I think I have finally come to a conclusion. Well, I have come very close. I am down to two:

Graceland by Paul Simon
Neon Bible by Arcade Fire

These are the only two albums that I have never gotten tired of and could never see myself getting tired of. The Pauly just never fails to put me in a delightful, care-free mood, and the Arcade Fire never fails to make me want to explode into tiny molten pieces of passion and beauty, there is a part in Keep the Car Running that goes "Oh-oh oh-oh oh-oh oh-oh" and the drums break it down, it is maybe 6 seconds long, and every time, my body involuntarily jumps and spasms to the beat, my head bops and pops, I dance like Molly Ringwald in The Breakfast Club, you know the dance I am talking about. Think, though, think how different my life would be depending on which of these albums I chose. It would be light and African and care-free and humming and strolling down the block and bongos, or it would be neon lights in the dark, reds and greens and blues and yellows, dark all around and odd but so full and reflective and grand and painful and grand. I can't decide which I would prefer.

Oh. And I was wrong about Kris Allen. Betsy played me his version of To Make You Feel My Love. Stellar.

I am looking at this stack of delicious books I just got for free at McKay, overwhelmed by how many pages it is, just sitting there in a stack, probably 3500 pages, delicious pages, stacked a foot high, it makes my stomach hurt thinking about digesting that many pages. I have the same experience every time I bring home sacks and sacks of groceries, their weight sagging down on my arms, drawing deep red creases into my wrists, every time I think, "In just two weeks, all of this will have been through my belly and out the back door," and I am embarrassed, like I'm on a sexy date and just ordered the biggest, manliest, most embarrassing thing on the menu, things are funny when you look at them in bulk. like when you think about how much money Americans spend on toilet paper every year or how much toothpaste is used worldwide in a single day or how much space in the world is devoted to storing garbage.

This just in: the video from the wedding is up on facebook, the video of me brawling with Jesse over the bouquet at the wedding. Here is the link.

No comments: