I finally got around to watching some Mark Driscoll. Horrifying.
No wonder this fella is so sure he's right. He never bothers listening to anyone who doesn't agree with him. What could a rabbi have to offer about religious experience, right?? People who aren't Christians? TROUBLE. But it's ok, I can justify my insensitivity and narrow-mindedness, because I've got a Bible verse that tells me that's what God wants. It's amazing, too, that he talks about Jesus' talking with the Pharisees, who study and love the Bible and know all there is to know about it, yet receive his disapproval. And why doesn't Jesus approve of them? Driscoll says: because they didn't love Jesus. Maybe you can find one passage that says that. But the overarching reason? Because they valued their tradition over God. It blinded them. Just like yours does, Pastor Driscoll. I also love that he has absolutely no trouble using the language of "teams," while at the same time somehow claiming to navigate away from binary evaluations of people, us/them good/bad, etc. You must be so proud of your repentance. You are so proud of it that you have no trouble completely dismissing people who disagree with you. How can you "admit" that you're sinful, and somehow not think that affects your theology? You'd think it would sprout some humility, but nope. Really? Do Christians have the corner on repentance? You can't be repentant in other traditions? It is honestly confounding to me how two people can look at the absolute same information and come to absolutely opposing conclusions. That is me and Mark Driscoll. Reason #1682 why a claim that the Bible is inerrant is nonsense. Because it's in the translation that the real theology happens, and you will translate according to where you're sitting.
Am I proud?? Who gives a shit. I will at least listen to you and actually engage you. But you are so sure you're right. And you literally will not talk with people who don't agree. It's dangerous, pal.
DISCLAIMER: This video is a caricature, and I'm sure Driscoll can conduct himself like an adult when he's actually discussing things, and not just trying to rile people up about what they already believe. But this sort of preaching discourages actual thinking, it deepens division and arrogance. I'm not saying belief is arrogance, I'm saying being dismissive of other people's beliefs is.
Dear Mark Driscoll,
Sorry to be so mean. I just remembered you're a person, and mean words hurt people. I'm mostly just sad that people are listening to you, the same way all your friends are sad that me and my friends are listening to Rob Bell. And to be honest, I think you've got Jesus wrong, but you're so sure you've got him right. Your ideas hurt people, they create more division, and I think they hold us back as a church and as a world.
No comments:
Post a Comment