Just to be clear, I've had a wonderful wonderful day. Jonathan called me. He's such a winner. He makes me feel so at home. I really value friendships and people that are free, open, that set the people around them free to be who they are, and Jonathan is that kinda guy. so honest and caring and accepting and understanding. I can't tell if it's just similarity or sheer open-heartedness that breeds the kind of freedom he gives me, but I like it. Freedom sounds like such a broad, political word, but that's not how I mean it. I mean it close and safe, but also expanding. Jonathan is bound for the west coast, but I know we'll be forever friends. just another destination to visit in my cross-country tours. Well, not just another, but you know.
Spent an hour or so this morning with another John that sets me free. He is leaving town in a couple weeks. for good. I'll be sad to see him go. He cries when I cry and laughs when I laugh. He is a mirror and a shield. We have two hours left in our friendship. It's hard, but I think it will be enough.
Right now, I am writing because I am forcing myself to, because I want to remember, remember leaning against the car on the phone smoking cigarettes for a half hour and Cheeseburger Paradise and the Gingerbeer and the tears and Utah, but I don't really have the words.
Speaking of Johns, I've spent the entire day listening to the 5 songs I own by The Great Book of John, a "side-project" of the band, Wild Sweet Orange, who just recently made their network television debut on The Late Show with David Letterman, and who signed a record deal with Sony, and who are a few of my friends from childhood. We Birminghammers are mighty proud of our boys, but to be honest, I like The Great Book of John better. Myspace 'em, you'll see.
The 5 songs I have by The Great Book of John:
Death of a Middle School Guidance Counselor
A Traveler Dreams of Home
Circus Song
James
A Traveler Dreams of Home
I believe this John has also contributed to my lovely day. Actually, his name is Taylor. He writes perfect songs.
"Garp was an excessive man. He made everything baroque, he believed in exaggeration." -John Irving
The theme of this post is not nearly as forced as it seems. In fact, it was a complete accident, and I laugh at the neat symmetry that ran entirely unnoticed throughout my day, until I spilled it into words. Milan Kundera says that life runs in themes, in motifs, waiting to be beheld, and I believe him. Johns and leaving and freedom. There were, of course, many non-Johns who played their parts in my afternoon and evening, but the Johns were the guideposts, the peaks strung along the way. I felt for sure that Garp was a complete departure, until I thought to quote him. Silly.
1 comment:
john irving is my favorite author. the world according to garp is probably the most fucked up book i've ever read.
cheers to friends named john.
Post a Comment