February 24, 2009

Sleepy time down south

I never want to go to sleep in the night time, it is my free open space. The night goes on forever. Every night, I plan to go to bed at 11 or 12, but then around that time, I say "Think of all the things I could do with all these hours!" and so I distract myself until 2 or 3. Movies! Books! Writing! I'll make a playlist! How bout some jumping jacks! or I could write a poem.

a bloody little verse
about the nancy and the curse
about the geraldine nurse
from Gelderland

The thing about night, though, is that it always runs into morning eventually, and the mornings take the role call:

Have you done your reading, missy?
Papers?
And are you rested?
No, no, and no? Well, then, we are very disappointed with you and offer this bit of advice: PLEASE GROW UP BEFORE TOMORROW.

Every time she comes around, she shakes her finger at me, tisk tisk. But then the night comes along, and it is so wide and open that I walk right in again. Oh well. This night has brought with it a miniature discovery: that strange smell I've been smelling on my hands for the past several weeks – it is my pear-scented lotion. It doesn't smell like pears, this is what threw me off track. I thought perhaps it was the library lotion, or some soap somewhere, but no.

Ok, ok. I will finish my paper and snooze. Adieu.

2 comments:

Liz said...

clint is like that. he stays up listening to music, reading, watching horror flicks, etc... all the time. me? i go to bed at 9pm on the dot.

you have a really great writing style. very engaging.

Danielle Jaje said...

I also can't go to sleep before midnight. I feel like I am missing part of life if I do.