July 15, 2009

Dweeb. Music.

Derek Webb linked to this article on his Twitter, and I am starting to think it is 100% right about what he is doing with his new album. I think all of this hype leading up to the album's release, all the options to get 3 tiers worth of packages, t-shirts and videos and so on, all of it was just a ploy to show us how enslaved we are by consumerism and such. He is, and this is too grandiose of a statement, but he is emerging as a genius. He has been going on for several years about Christians making good art, leading cultural trends instead of pathetically following them, and I think he is actually learning to do it, he is doing things that no one else is doing, clever things, sexy things, and he is also using the internet to do things that no one else is doing. To be sure, he is also having a ton of fun doing it, and when musicians start to have fun, instead of trying so hard to impress and to zing, that is when they really start creating beautiful things. I hope he doesn't think he is a genius, I hope he doesn't think he is ROCKING OUR FACES OFF WITH HIS BRILLIANCE, it would be embarrassingly self-important, but I do, I think he is a genius, and that he is having fun. My only concern with this Stockholm Syndrome business is that he seems to be mocking my devotion to him, it makes me feel like an idiot for buying those extras I did buy. I think mostly it is a conundrum.
Here is a song that I love. Abra Moore is probably the weirdest woman I have ever seen, and her studio albums are a bore, but her live performances are enchanting if you ask me, almost uncomfortably vulnerable but enchanting instead. Also lovely is this video of her song, After All These Years, if you have some time. Apparently, she is huge in Texas. I first heard her long about 4 years ago touring with a fellow called Teitur on the "Modern Troubadours" tour, but have had a hard time keeping up my fandom, as a result of her horrendous studio arrangements. It was a week or two ago that I remembered the internet and its vast array of live video performances, and was happy to have my appreciation for little Abra revived. Here she is.

No comments: