December 3, 2009

Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay

I am settling into the time in my life when things are just fun.  I really don't think I need to rush through this.  I tend to think if I'm not stressed, then something is wrong, I must not be devoting myself to enough meaningful tasks, but that is fine, the time for stress will come.  Ever since I graduated, I have been totally living it up.  Look through my pictures, and there have been a lot of pictures, look through them and you will see.  I can't wait to make my "Top moments of 2009" list, it is gonna be dynamite.  All I have time for in my life right now are the things I love.  nothing else.  And I am not even talking about selfish things, not necessarily.  I have had time to do some lovely charitable things too, and the money to do them, if charitable is the word.  I would rather say "meaningful," but isn't everything meaningful?

It's just good times.  It is the "why not?" days.  Why not build a fort in the living room and keep it up for 4 days?  Why not take a walk down to the lake?  Why not spend $50 to see a band I've never heard before, and have my face rocked off?  Why not sit and read with Bump in my lap all day?  For most of my life, I've thought life ended after college.  You buckle down, you become responsible and bland.  But really, I am several big life changes away from that happening from necessity (if it ever even happens by necessity).  And life will get harder, there will be obligations, and people to tend to and work that is harder, and I will cherish that, I will love it, but here is now, and it is great.

That's all I wanted to say. Mary Oliver said something like "If you have not been enchanted by this adventure, your life, then what would do for you?"  I am enchanted by this adventure.  Once, and I have no idea why we did this, but once, Craig and I devoted a whole evening to discussing "the romance of travel," and how we used to want so much to be somewhere else, how we thought this would make our lives, how we envied the people who actually go out and do it, how exotic we thought those people must be, and how little we feel this way anymore.  We both still love to travel.  By the end of the talk, I was dying for Poland.  BUT.  Somewhere along the line, I learned to love everything, all the things in front of me, the land, the landscape, the people, the sites, the knowing over time, and I can't remember anymore that restlessness with the ordinary.  Maybe this makes me boring, but it makes my life 12 shades brighter and fuller.

 

No comments: