February 2, 2008

Myra Jo

I have had a few spurts of creative inspiration in the past couple weeks, and I have actually written a couple of songs, which I thought would never happen again. I realized that my favorite songs I've written are the nonsense ones, and what distinguishes them is that I just write whatever comes out, instead of trying so hard to say something. And so, that is what I've done, and I'm pretty happy with it. Here is one I wrote about Mom.

What would you look like old and gray?
A wrinkled grandma with a baby in arms?
What would you wear on my wedding day?
Just a phantom in a nightgown and slippers?

I see you reclining with your Pop
I see you stony faced and still
I see you standing in the dark
I see you wanderin'

Daddy's seeing someone new
Me and the boys, we's having a hard hard time
She never laughs like you
But she tries, she tries, and that's alright

Oh Mama, oh, oh, Myra Jo

Ah, I don't miss you like I should
Not even on your birthday or Christmas Eve
I wear that ring you never bothered putting on
And it just weighs me down

But what would you want from me?
Want me to dream big and dance?
You want me never moving on?
I will, I won't, whatever, Mom, for you.

Oh, Mama, oh, oh, Myra Jo

Hey, let me promise to you
I'll never let myself forget
I'll miss you better, I swear
I'll sit and soak in these memories

And I'll take every moment and drink it in
And I will right all of your wrongs
I'll raise a family beneath your picture
I'll love and love and love and love and love

Oh Mama, oh, oh, Myra Jo


You can listen to it at my myspace. a VERY rough version, of course. Lots more work to do on it.

No comments: