Here is a quote from a blog I read, and I have no desire to get entangled in yet another absurd internet abortion debate (...not that I've ever had an internet debate about abortion. But come on, it's an issue that's been talked to death.), but I just find this statement very craftily worded. and also, if I'm honest, deceptively worded. "Opposed to the rights of the unborn." This is, of course, a negative phrasing of what is actually held as a positive position, the affirmation of the rights of fully formed human beings. Of course, pro-choicers often refer to the pro-life position as "anti-abortion," so there's no shortage of word-twisting on both sides of the issue, but still. What does it accomplish to frame your opponent's position in the most negative light possible?
The more concerning part, though, is this line: "supporting the powerful over the powerless." FASCINATING. I just think this is a really interesting way of understanding the difference between the two positions. It's true, unborn babies are powerless, but more often than not, so are their mothers. That's why they have to turn to abortion. I think this points to a really crucial aspect of the abortion issue that is chronically ignored in most of the debates, at least the ones among fiery Christians, and that's the fact that this is just as much a class/race issue as it is a moral issue. Now I don't have the stats, but a good chunk of people having abortions are either in pretty serious poverty, or else teenagers. It is very VERY rarely a confident exercising of a woman's right to her body or an act of convenience. It is much more often a desperate and regretable necessity in a shitty crisis situation. Is that the image of power-hungry feminists that you're thinking of when you make your protest? Because this is who you're battling. Also, quite a few of them are BLACK. I said it, folks. And guess what...there actually aren't thousands of beautiful, young couples waiting to adopt BLACK babies. Most of them want children of their own race, and most of them are white. So before you start telling these
6 comments:
Not all women who have abortions are "powerless" and even if they are, there are lots of people willing to help them. They certainly have more power than unborn children, who are entirely dependent on their mothers.
I understand that one of the reasons Black babies do not get adopted is that interracial adoption is considered politically incorrect in social agency circles. I know this is the case in Canada with Natives. Babies normally do not have trouble getting adopted. That's why there is such a long waiting list for them.
The forces that support legal abortion are indeed powerful. The abortion industry makes tons of money. The UN and other government bodies are powerful. The glitterati and elites that support it are powerful. People who support fetal rights tend to be rather grassroots.
Women, abortionists, the medical community, politicians, etc they have rights. Unborn children don't. I think that that's a pretty strong case to say that it's about the powerful against the powerless.
Wonderful.
Suzanne, I emphatically support your efforts to help young women near you who are considering abortion, through emotional support, financial support, and child care. I'm glad to hear there are people who actually care a lot about these girls. If there truly are lots of people to help them, then abortion wouldn't be an issue for me. I don't think it would be an issue for anyone.
I think there must be very few people indeed who actually like abortion. I mourn the lost life and lost potential. I also mourn the social pressures and forces that bring girls to that decision. And again I say efforts at sex education and at outreach (i.e., emotional, financial, and physical support) would be a much more effective preventer of abortion than legislation. and that most (of course not all) women who have abortions are girls in distress or women with very limited means. and that means they need our help more than our pointed fingers.
oh, come on...why in the WORLD wouldn't you want to post this as a comment on said blog? :) just kidding. but good thoughts, my friend.
Haha, I just can't imagine why I wouldn't want to post it over there ;)
Also, I think I should clarify (to no one in particular) that when I bring up the race issue, I'm not only talking about the practical concern of adoption. I'm also saying that since it's largely a concern in impoverished African American communities, that it can become white middle-class America dictating to poor black America, and in some sense, I think that matters. Because many African American communities are completely stripped of resources in ways that white people genuinely cannot imagine, and that changes the decision. Of course, it is not only African American women having abortions, and it is not only white people who are opposed to abortion (by no means), but I do think that like many other issues in our country today, this is one in which race is invisible, in which it is never brought up as a legitimate point to consider, when in fact, it is definitely a significant factor.
wow jen, intense writing. not what i was expecting on a tuesday morning. i thought i'd just get to talk about tim mcgraw. i'll concede to your comment about faith... but i have to say that side by side in a world that see's no gender, faith would win out because she's a beautiful woman... and i think her blouses look better on her than on tim.
your post... i think you make a really good point. i get frustrated (especially around election time) at how simple this issue becomes to most "conservative christians". you feel like you're a murderer when you talk about other solutions outside the status quo vote for pro life. i could not agree more that most folks who are faced with the abortion issue are on hard times and see that option as a way out... there needs to be even more of a fight for those lives.
i will also say that as a couple who is going through a domestic adoption and is seeking another ethnicity than our own, i hold out hope that our culture is changing regarding race... we have. there are more folks adopting outside of their race these days and i believe the further we move in time and the old school hatred dies off, we'll see even more. i know racism will always be present, but it has gotten better for sure.
all of that to say that "pro life" should be a term from start to finish in my opinion. as you stated, church intervention & education would be far more effective than legislation. many christians (myself included) are lazy and want the government to take care of the work of the church...not it's job. "pro life" should also mean working to get over racial barriers to where there is not such a stigma of adopting another race which no doubt adds to the hesitancy of mothers considering putting their children up for adoption.
my suggestion... if you are "pro life", in addition to voting for the republican candidate, which you no doubt will, also go down to your local adoption agency and begin your registration process. that's far more pro life than penciling in a ballot.
Ok, if we're talking about pure aesthetics, yes, Faith is definitely prettier. But they're both pretty pretty, and I think Tim is definitely more country.
I didn't know you guys were looking into adoption! That is really great. Yeah, when I was thinking about adopting outside of your own race, I thought about yall's friend, Keely, and her daughter. Obviously, I've never met her and only met Keely a couple times, but I've seen a bunch of the pictures on Erin's blog. Anyway, it's really great to see that happening.
I think even more than just the stigma (which is thankfully passing away), it's just more of a challenge to have a child of another race or culture. I imagine it would create some unique emotional frustrations for the kid, and it takes some strong folks to deal with it.
But anyway, glad that you're looking into it, and I really appreciate your comments. Right on.
Post a Comment