Another great day. I am reading "She Who Changes" by Carol Christ, and it is reviving my soul. I kind of don't want to believe in God again, but I keep finding it happening. I am not a person given to faith, but I am a person drawn to spirituality, and that's a weird spot to be in. All I did today (til about 5:00) was read this book, and it gave me the kind of feeling I used to get on little high school church retreats. I think there's something in the Fall air that makes me start to feel spiritual, too. Again, all the Fall retreats of my youth. In the Fall, it's like nature starts screaming at you: HEY. LOOK AT ME. I AM BEAUTIFUL. And beauty always reminds me of God.
Process theology's concept of God is so beautiful, it doesn't even bother me that I can't prove it. It says "I think God is like this," and I say "Wouldn't that be wonderful?" and so I'm on board. It is deduction by fantasy. But Process takes everything I value and care about, and calls it God(ess), and finds a way to make it seem like a logical step, the logical direction of the Christian tradition. My motto is, if a belief makes you a better person, it's A-OK, and Process would do that, because it's about openness to new experience and new ideas. Also, they don't believe in an afterlife, so, no risk! It's not like I'm putting all my stock in some bet that's got to pay off for me one day. The belief is the payoff. It's just a beautiful and relatively honest way of seeing the world.
Process theology says that God has a body, because physicality is a good thing, and God's body is the universe. We are God's body. Come on! That's just beautiful. Process theology says God is unchanging in her goodness, but changed by her experiences with us. We and God are mutually changed by one another, because relationality and interdependence and change and newness are not bad things. Come on! Ya gotta love it.
Actually, ya don't gotta love it. Apparently, 72% of my class does not love it. They love evangelicalism more. But they're missing out. Dummies.
2 comments:
i, for one, totally dig it and must learn more!
Seriously, it's totally wonderful. It's like someone took everything I ever thought and systematized it into an actual, unified way of seeing the world. You should totally check it out.
Post a Comment