We met my Dad's girlfriend's kids this weekend. Drew and Anna. I already knew that Anna was a professional cellist who lives in New York and tours the world with her indie rock band, but it didn't occur to me until the moment I saw her how cool that would make her. I was instantly intimidated, but she was so persistently friendly that I eventually calmed down and opened up to her.
We had an unbelievable weekend. Lots of wine and stories around the table on the screened-in porch. We kids took Anna to Bottletree and talked about our parents and music and death and internet dating and agreed about everything. Matt called it "sort of cosmic" how well we all fit together. My brothers are pretty picky about the company they keep, and it is sort of amazing that someone my Dad likes would have kids that his kids like, considering how different we all are. She even makes me enjoy time with my brother more. "I really hope they get married," he said. We had such a great time that we decided to do it all again tonight. I think unconditional loveability is a family trait of theirs. We are all mutually giddy about the situation, trying to tame our excitement until things are a little more certain. I've never been part of constructing a family before. All of my "family" have been family for life. I like the prospect of getting a new one. It's really good to hear that Dad seems to have done as much for Barbara as she has done for him. They seem to bring out the best in each other. Barbara is so independent and together, I can't imagine what she could have to gain, but apparently, my Dad gives it to her.
I mean. I'm pretty happy. Just saying.
No comments:
Post a Comment