January 23, 2012

I like it in the city when two worlds collide

I am trying a new NAKED drink called berry veggie.  It is out of this world.  It is amazing how great carrots and beets and chick peas taste when you grind them to a sugary pulp and mix them with cherries.

BUT WE ARE NOT HERE TO TALK ABOUT BEETS.  Craig has given me quite a list of topics to write on, and I think it's time I get started.  I am a better Question Answerer than a Topic Generator, so these topics are very much appreciated.  First is - THE SCARIEST MOMENT OF MY LIFE. 

If I tell you what I want to tell you, it will seem like I have led a pretty scary-less life.  I am thinking of the time I let myself be drafted onto an open-air beer-stocked hummer for some friendly off-roading through a haunted steel factory, and found myself minutes later flying through the streets of Birmingham with 10 very drunk strangers who insisted on leaning out the window to cheers every cop we passed and request he "SHOW US YOUR DICK!"  They also stopped a couple of times to light things on fire in the streets with gasoline.  This incident was scary, both because I was certain it would end in incarceration, and also because it seemed it would never end.  I am still convinced the only reason we weren't all arrested is that the hummer made the cops think we were servicemen.

Then there are other moments, like the time my Mom stood at the top of the stairs, threw her suitcase down them and swore she was leaving us, and then we all gathered in the living room to plead with her.  or the time I came home from 7th grade with my first C, convinced I would be grounded for life, only to have my Mom respond, "You must be really disappointed.  But anyway, I've been thinking of getting you a puppy!"  or the time my brother fractured his skull after being thrown onto gravel from a getaway horse, and I was sure he was dead dead dead.

All of those ended up ok, though.  If we expand the question to "What am I afraid of?" it gets much bigger.  As an adult, I mostly worry that I am dying, that I have throat or brain or breast or ovarian cancer, lymphoma, melanoma, Parkinson's, bipolar, Seasonal Affective Disorder, chronic depression, MS (thanks a lot, President Bartlett), Diabetes, congestive heart failure, and/or every other disease I've ever heard of.  Or I worry that I will end up 40 and alone, bored by the world, falling asleep on my couch with my cats night after night and then die (of one of the aforementioned diseases...or a car crash).  Or that I will finally have a child, but it will have some rare deformity or debilitating disability or fits of rage that leave me with a thankless, bankrupt, miserable future.  Or that my experimental way of living in the world will turn out a failure and I won't get a chance to go back and live a conventional life.  Or that my Dad will die or destroy himself or slowly disintegrate like my Mom did, or that one day the stream of people I encounter will completely dry up and I'll really really be alone, or that I will find a rut I cannot catapult my way out of, emotionally or financially or careerly.  I am what the doctors call "a worrier."  This is the bag of worries I carry around and sift through from time to time, but don't worry, I am being medicated for most of them.  As my Gaunt Chris told me today, GETTING OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES.  I fight these fears with meditation and happy times with frins and singing and being out of doors.  or with just facing them and resolving to live today as fully as possible.  You know.  The usual.

I am not, however, afraid of spiders.

I APOLOGIZE IF THIS WAS A LITTLE DARK.  I think tomorrow, I will take up the topic of sweet potatoes.

No comments: