January 25, 2012

Miracles?

This is another Craig suggestion.  DO YOU BELIEVE IN MIRACLES?  Cause I hope you do.  You'll always have a friend wearing big red shoes.  Is that right?  Maybe it was magic?

Frankly, I don't think about them much.  When I hear the word, I think about how I heard somewhere that a miracle is just a thing that expands and/or challenges our understanding of the laws of nature slash what is possible in the universe.  That is, we shouldn't think of it as something that defies the laws of nature, or something that's impossible, because if it happened then obviously it's possible.  I like that idea, that there are these pockets of possibility in the universe that we don't know about yet, or keep trying to deny, or can't quite access, because we can't explain them yet, or control them enough to study them.  It seems likely enough.

I hear God does a lot of them in South America.  I remember hearing in college about a man in Ohio that was cured of male pattern baldness, right there on the spot.  My brother told me about a website called God Hates Amputees, which asks why God only heals people of internal illness and never of lost limbs, but then Caleb told me he had heard of people regenerating limbs.  One time, my PFC friends in college went to see some miracle worker, and they all got healed, one of an old football injury, one of a scar on her leg.  One kid had a leg shorter than the other, and the man fixed it.  Shit is wild.  Now whenever my back or knees hurt, I wish I knew that guy's name, just in cases.

I like the idea of them, the idea of things that can't be explained by science, kind of mysterious and wacky.  I will believe most things if someone can give me a little proof.  I think it is more fun to believe things are possible than to walk around being skeptical.  When I first found out that God could do anything, I prayed that he would turn my doll, Hunter, into a real boy so I could make out with him.  I prayed so fervently, not a shred of doubt, I think I was about 4.  Would you believe, it didn't work.  I was a little miffed. 

What do you think?

No comments: