January 28, 2012

YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL IN EVERY SINGLE WAY



Hey.  Happy Saturday.  I mean that.

My pen pal asked me to explain how I use the word beautiful, because she could tell it was important to me, and this led me to compile a list of things that I find beautiful in human beings.  I wanted to share this list with you, because it makes me so happy to think about, and also because if we are friends, it means I think that you are beautiful, so you probably embody many things on this list, and maybe it would be nice to know that about yourself.  When in doubt, just assume I am talking about you, because I probably am.

  1. an honest and eager desire to understand the world
  2. compassion, kindness, generosity, honesty, hospitality, humility
  3. assertions of self-possession and self-worth in the face of haters/soul-crushing systems of power
  4. artful use of profanity
  5. tenderness
  6. playfulness, lightness of heart
  7. the persistent willingness to say yes
  8. openness to new people and new experiences
  9. long legs, poofy hair, jangling bracelets, skinny jeans, smiles, gray blue eyes
  10. six packs, broad shoulders, quiet strength, sincerity, scruffiness, tan skin, masculinity
  11. vulnerability, pouring
  12. a sense of wonder
  13. complete disregard for conventionality, celebration of weirdness and quirkiness
  14. happy owning/recovering of one's heritage
  15. a hint of hidden depths
  16. the ability to turn personal tragedy into flowers of wisdom and character
  17. growing/changing over time, having a shared history
  18. mysticism, an appreciation of mystery
  19. thoughtfulness
  20. the ability to take criticism to heart and honestly evaluate oneself without being crushed or becoming bitter
  21. a smart sense of humor
  22. an appreciation of beautiful things, like harmony and violins and good music in general or lovely landscapes or poetry or art
  23. innocence, sweetness, delight
  24. a deep down love of and desire to help human beings in need, or animals in need, or the earth, a heartfelt hope and belief that one can make the world a better place
  25. bright colors, POP, well designed color palettes, style
  26. the ability/desire to create, to combine what is old in new arrangements, filtered through the lens of your own uniqueness, to make a completely new thing
  27. standing up for friends or family, being driven by love to be unconditionally on someone's side
  28. the ability to find the goodness and beauty in just about anyone or anything
  29. an embracing of life, in all its joys and difficulties
Am I cheesy?  Then I am cheesy.  I hope to continue adding to this list forever.  What do you find beautiful?


(pictures from pinterest)

No comments: