April 2, 2008

I have decided...

Man, I gotta be honest. Christianity is great. and not because of the way it currently exists, or because of how right it's doctrines are. No, I pretty much can't stand its current manifestation or its self-assured doctrines. But the great thing about Christianity is that it is centered around Jesus. And that guy was just plain revolutionary. total genius. It is crazy that an institutionalized religion formed around an anti-institutionalizer, a hierarchy around an equalizer, and that most of its adherents don't even realize it, but it's the greatest secret. Because Christianity always and forever has the resources within it to be called on its bullshit. total bullshit. Most people will still never get it, and the religion may do more harm than good on the whole, but if it's gonna stick around, it's lucky that it's focused on Jesus.

Whenever I get in a discussion with somebody, and it circles back around to the Bible (like all discussion with Christians Protestants do), every Scripture they point to to justify their condemnation of the marginalized or their definition of morality or their doctrinal foundations or whatever, upon further examination, demonstrates to me how loving and levelizing and great and sly Jesus was. And I don't even have any commitments to the Bible, really, so it's not like I'm searching for it. I don't care what it says, but when I stop and look at the passages people claim for themselves to justify X, those very passages actually prove them wrong. It's just beautiful.

I don't mind following Jesus. not at all.

No comments: