I just can't believe there are people who still use phrases like "objective source of truth" to talk about the Bible. You're kidding me. I decided long ago that the idea of objectivity, especially with regard to "moral truths" is laughable, but I could still understand that other people approach the world that way. Today. Today is the day that it is just too much. It's like believing that women have smaller brains or that black people are objectively less smart. You've become a satire of yourself; no commentary is needed to turn you into a laughing stock.
And these are adults, saying these things. They've been through the academy, they've presumably lived through a life crisis or two. Right? They may have even met a Muslim or a Pentecostal. And they still just can't put it together, that there is no such thing as objectivity. It's 2008, folks. Get the memo.
4 comments:
um, wow. i would really love to hear whatever story sparked this post.
Oh, you wouldn't have to look too far. It's not from a conversation, just reacting to a certain blog that you and I both frequent. Just makes me laugh is all. how certain and self-assured some people can be about what is true.
i don't understand why people would WANT to refer to the bible as an objective source of truth. i mean, if what we're about is faith, doesn't that make objectivity erroneous?
well said.
Good point, Liz. It just seems like we should have a little humility about this stuff.
Post a Comment