May 14, 2008

Scent-Saver

I can't believe that we've made it all the way to 2008, and no one has figured out a contraption that captures smells, the way cameras capture sights and tape recorders capture sounds.  I suppose that is to some extent what air fresheners are trying to do, but they have failed miserably.  Too much aerosol, and also, they haven't found a way to put this ability in the hands of every day Joes like me.  Or Janes. 

If we had such a contraption, I would stick it right at the edge of my driveway, toward the honeysuckle bush that greets me every time I step out of my car, and snap! and that scent would be with me forever.   I think it could comfort me just as much as any picture or any sweet song, when I'm feeling down.  As it is, the scent is restricted to summertimes, when I happen to be home visiting.  Take what you can get, I suppose.

No comments: