May 4, 2008

This is what procrastination looks like

Tomatoes -
Why have you disappeared from my life?
Left me like a squirrel
searching for a renegade acorn
and for love.

The wee horse with his bushy tail
hangs his head in despair
and scribbles a silly love poem,
remembers the days of frolicking among the trees,
with pals to spare, and nuts as far as the eye could see.

The days of plenty, he daydreams, of laughing without end,
deep bellowing laughter, hearty and from the gut,
"HAHAHAHAHA!"
before we knew hunger.
before we knew hunger.

And now, it's all pine straw and parking decks,
broken hearts and missing.
A wasteland of concrete and yellow lines,
snuffing the sprouting joys of old.

To have loved and lost! squeaks our Romeo,
raising his pointed finger, pen still in hand.
But it is no comfort.
Brown and haggard, he wanders these flat forsaken forests,
alone.

*By the way, I recognize that posting this entry so soon after my last one may lead you to suspect that they are somehow related, and for that reason, that this poem is profoundly symbolic and serious for me. But that would be a mistake. It started as a facebook message to a friend I haven't talked to in a couple weeks, and after a half hour or so of adding ridiculous details and of imagining a sad, lonely, dejected squirrel writing poetry and lamenting about deforestation, I decided I wanted to post it. That's all.

No comments: